The Reflections Program is a National PTA and Washington State PTA cultural arts competition. The purpose of this program is to provide an opportunity for students to use their creative talents by expressing themselves through their own original works.
Pre-Kindergarten through grade 12 students are encouraged to submit original works of art in one or more of the following categories: Visual Arts Photography, Literature, Music Composition, Dance Choreography, and Film Production.
Each year, Reflections challenges students to create art that supports a specific theme. Themes are selected from thousands of ideas submitted by students to National PTA’s Reflections Theme Search. The theme of the 2017-18 Reflections program is Within Reach.
A student may submit an entry in any of six arts areas. Only original works of art are accepted. The six art areas are:
- Literature – works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, prose, drama, short stories and lyrics.
- Music Composition – original musical composition, with or without words.
- Photography: color or black and white, including techniques: photo-gram, retouched, montage, sandwich and multiple exposure.
- Visual Arts: drawing, painting in tempera, oil, acrylic, watercolor & t-shirt paints, computer generated art, two-dimensional collage, printmaking, needlework & leather tooling.
- Film/Video: original works, with or without sound, of animation, narrative, documentary, experimental or music video/film.
- Choreography/Dance: originally choreographed dance composition.
Participation is organized by student age and grade levels. Student works are critiqued against others in the same grade division. This allows recognition and judging of artworks by appropriate developmental age and skill levels. The grade divisions are:
- Primary: Preschool – Grade 2
- Intermediate: Grades 3 – 5
- Middle/Junior: Grades 6 – 8
- Senior: Grades 9 – 12
Entries are judged on creative ability and interpretation of the theme. The program is structured for PTAs to recognize students at the local, council, state, and national levels. Entries are first judged at the local level and selected works are chosen to represent the PTA at each subsequent level. If a PTA is a member of a council, they will send the chosen entries to the council program according to the guidelines established by their council. If a PTA is not a member of a council, they will submit their entries directly to Washington State PTA.
Once entries reach the state level, the state PTA may select up to four entries in each of the six arts areas (a total of 24) to submit to the National PTA. National first, second, and third place, and honorable mention entries are recognized at the National PTA Annual Convention.
All PTAs/PTSAs in good standing may sponsor the program. Students may only submit entries through a PTA/PTSA. Parent groups not affiliated with the National PTA are not eligible to sponsor this program.
If you have additional questions please contact the WSPTA Reflections Chair, Michael Wheeler at firstname.lastname@example.org.